Sunday, June 01, 2008

Do you know how hard it is not to get your hopes up? Kurt was there during rounds today, and they discussed transferring Quinn. It sounds like Quinn just needs a quick glance from a parade of specialists and then he can go. His breathing and digestion are stable enough for the other hospital to handle, so it's looking promising. But they want him to be seen by a urologist, an ophthalmologist, and an orthopedist. Kurt didn't get the specifics, but I'm guessing the urologist is going to check if Quinn's testicles have descended fully. Last they looked, one was down and the other on it's way, so that's just a follow up and shouldn't take too long. The ophthalmologist is going to follow up the eye exam he had three weeks ago, which is standard procedure for preemies. The orthopedist is going to look at his left foot, which turns out a bit. That's not uncommon for someone in Quinn's circumstances, but it may or may not need intervention to straighten out. What I really want to do is sit down with someone who fits the category of The Powers That Be and make a list of just exactly which i's need to be dotted and which t's need to be crossed. Every time we've talked about transferring, it's been in rather abstract terms, like "not yet." Well, duh, I figured that much. How about when? What are we working toward in order to get this to happen? And every time I think we have it figured out, something new comes up. The orthopedist was a new idea today. But surely the crooked foot had been noticed before, we just didn't hear about it. So that will be my project for the next few days. I wonder if they will be glad to get rid of me. Oh, and it's been a couple of days since I've included a weight for Quinn, and that's another sort of exciting development. He is now 1740 g, about 3 lbs 13 oz. He has gained more than 2 pounds since birth. So we're definitely doing some growing now. Here's to continued progress.

1. I'm grateful for Sundays.
2. I'm grateful for any and all progress.
3. I'm grateful that I'm not going through this alone.
4. I'm grateful Quinn is my third child.
5. I'm grateful I was born of goodly parents.

No comments: