Sunday, June 22, 2008

I have allies. I'm not sure whether that's truly comforting or not. I went to see Quinn this evening and one of his primary nurses was there and told me she was angry for me that he didn't get transferred after everything was set for that to happen. We talked about how ridiculous it is that they knew beforehand that they were overwhelmed with the merger and shouldn't have said yes if that was a problem. I mentioned the doctor had told me he wouldn't normally have told parents the whole story, but knew that I needed to hear it, and that I wasn't sure it was a compliment or not. She said it depends on the parents. She always gives as much information as she has, at least until she knows the parents. She said there are some parents who get totally overwhelmed by the amount of stuff there is to know, and would rather most if not all decisions were totally handled by hospital staff. This is mind boggling to me, but evidently that's just my personality, and I need to make allowances for other ways of parenting. I'm not going to hold out hope that the transfer might still happen. At this point I'm wondering if I really want Quinn in a facility as poorly run at the other hospital seems to be. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Whatever the case, I'm starting a new regime tomorrow. I need to spend more time with Quinn. He is taking more and more of his feeds by mouth and I want to be involved in that. So I'll be spending all afternoon and most of the evening there, instead of the token visit I have been making. I feel like I've been choosing my older children over Quinn, and it's a heart-wrenching decision to make. All three of them need me, but I can't have them all in the same place all the time, at least not yet. We're getting there, but there are many more obstacles to negotiate.

Quinn is just over 5 lbs now. Hardly seems possible. I did take some pictures yesterday, but I'll have to defer uploading them until tomorrow. He's a lot more interactive now. I spent a lot of time talking to him today. It's fun to watch him respond now. He hasn't made any recent improvements on his oxygen needs, but he's still growing and getting better with feeds. I'll take what I can get.

4 comments:

RasJane said...

Bronwyn, you are a great mom. I know that you are having to make some really tough choices regarding what kids to be with. I hope you are able to find comfort in the decisions you make. I remember a good friend of mine recalling the time her family dealt with her baby sister being in the NICU. She said that even though it was tough because her parents were always gone, she still remembers feeling the Spirit so close all the time. That as the sibling of such a special spirit, it just pervaded everything. And she understood what was happening in her own way. I know your children are being blessed in many ways, even if you can't see it right now. The Lord just works that way, y'know?

Anyway, 5 pounds. Wow! What a happy milestone. He is growing so well. Soon, he will be home with his whole family. Hugs

Jan Kate Brower Arnell said...

5 pounds! That's great! and it sounds like things are moving along albeit s-l-o-w-l-y for his transfer either home or to the smaller and closer hospital. I love what "rasjane" said about the Spirit being there for your other children and I think she is right. Blessings amid trials come in all sorts of packages...

Queen Bee said...

Bronwyn, Your mom told me about Quinn when I saw her at Chelsea's wedding and then Brent and Jan gave me your blog address. I've spent this morning catching up. You and I are kindred souls re birthing and medical (non-medical) management of that and babies. We could chat for hours I'm sure. You probably never knew that I used to teach childbirth education even before I became a nurse. Now I'm a geriatric nurse practitioner. Had to get away from the too many frustrations of the practice of OB in this country. And I completely sympathize with your experience of nursery nurses. But your son is SO lucky to have you and I have the luxury of reading your story in one sitting which so clearly delineates the marvelous progress Quinn has made. I'm rooting for you from the sidelines and will keep you all in my prayers!

Bronwyn said...

Hi Debi! thanks for stopping by! No, I didn't know of your background. I'm thinking of becoming a childbirth educator myself. It's funny, before I started using this blog for Quinn updates, I had my reading list on it, which among other things included every expose book on American obstetrics I could get my hands on. I talk to anyone who will stand still long enough on the subject. I wish someone had given me one of these books before I became pregnant the first time.

And thanks everyone for the votes of confidence. Many are the times I wallow in self-doubt. I appreciate the encouragement.