Another day, another bruise on my head from banging it against the wall. I spoke with Quinn's nurse this morning, and asked her about why we hadn't heard the ophthalmologist would be the one to hold us up. It should not have been a surprise to them that he might want to continue to monitor Quinn. She agreed, and said the only thing she could think of is that no one knew the other hospital wouldn't have an ophthalmologist available. Sounds like bull to me, as this is probably the most common hospital they transfer to, and they should definitely know what it's capabilities are, but that was the best she could do for me. Actually, that's not true. She said she would arrange for Kurt and me to meet with the attending neonatologist this afternoon and get some questions answered. She even offered to babysit Dorian and Faith for us while we did that. That was quite generous of her, and I still don't know how she planned to do her job and keep track of two very small and active children, but at the time, it seemed like a good solution. So, as soon as Kurt got home from work, we made our way downtown, making a list of questions on the way. But life in intensive care isn't predictable. When we got there, everyone was busy with a twin delivery. So we didn't get to have our conference today. I'm not upset that the doctor was busy when we got there. That's his job and he was doing it. I am upset that we have gone for days on end with incomplete information. I wanted to once and for all get the entire picture of what was happening. I did get the phone number for the ophthalmologist, and will call him on Monday, if for no other reason that to actually have contact with this person who has worked with my child. His diagnosis of Quinn's eyes was "Zone 2, immature." We were handed a brochure about preemie vision which indicated there are several different levels of "immature." I saw Quinn's chart where the diagnosis was written (the nurse was holding it. I didn't do it myself. I'm trying not to make any more waves than I already have.) All it said was "immature." So I need more info than that. I also need to track down urology. The nurse was quite surprised the VCUG hadn't been done. I told her I thought they needed our permission. She said she was pretty sure it fell under the general consent. So that's two for and one against as to whether or not that test is covered by the intitial consent form. I guess that settles the question then. Either way, and whether it's done or we decline it for now, it's another thing holding up Quinn's discharge. The other main question we wanted to cover in our conference today was the orthopedist referral. We haven't heard anything more about that either. So basically this was a wasted week as far as the specialists are concerned. My ever-wise husband didn't get excited when he was told Quinn could transfer by Monday. I should have followed his example, especially since I already knew better than to trust such a thing. And now it may not happen at all. He may be held hostage at this hospital until he's ready to come home. Curses.
I've definitely gotten into a pattern that last few days, updating both on Quinn himself and on the politics surrounding him. And they are every bit as ugly as the presidential election. But onto the little man himself. Quinn is doing marvelously. He came through his second day on the hi-flow just fine, and he is over 4 lbs now. 4 lbs 1 oz to be exact, or 1845 g. He is now on an iron supplement which I was told is an indefinite thing, so that's something he will get even after he comes home. And although I've learned by sad experience not to let too much hope get ahold of me, I think it's possible that we might start breastfeeding soon. I didn't get a good description of what Quinn needs to accomplish before that, but it sounds like it could be as early as Sunday. We'll see. I'm getting more cynical by the day. I used to declare myself the most cynical person I knew. I'm pretty sure I've only gotten worse since then.
Alright, happy thoughts all around, and here's to a good night's sleep. I could definitely use one of those.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hugs Bronwyn! I'm sorry things are moving so slowly.
Post a Comment