It's too hot. I've been told that that's why my milk supply isn't what it should be. My body is using its water elsewhere. But I need to get my milk back up because, guess what, hopefully tomorrow I will finally breastfeed my son! It's been long enough, certainly. Quinn's oxygen flow is down one notch, and that's enough to say bring on the milk! He'll figure it out quickly, I'm sure. The issue is that he isn't used to working for his food. That's something he has to get in shape for, so it won't be very long at first. But we'll get there. And actually nursing him should do wonders for my milk supply. It's much easier to produce milk for a real live baby than for a machine. His feed has been increased in the mean time, up to 34 ml, because he is 1930 g, 4 lbs 4 oz. He's cruising right along.
I saw a nurse practitioner today who was not in the least encouraging about transferring. She said yes, they were planning to talk to the ophthalmologist about possibly doing an exam tomorrow and then going three weeks, in the hopes that Quinn will be discharged by then, but she thought that was a set up for disaster, in case Quinn isn't quite ready in three weeks, and then he would have to be pushed for it because it's so important to have this exam. She kept saying that like I had denied it at some point. I never ever said to blow off this ophthalmologist, Quinn doesn't need him. I just didn't understand why he didn't go to the other hospital. I still don't, and neither does anyone else for that matter. I asked the NP why no one knew that the other hospital had no ophthalmologist, and she didn't have a good answer for me. It sounds like yet another example of things getting lost in translation to me. I've had enough of that experience. We have a meeting set up on Wednesday afternoon with the neonatologist, and possibly the urologist, just going over everything that still needs to happen before Quinn can leave the hospital, either for transfer or for home. And I'm hoping this time there won't be a birth right at that moment. We need to get the full picture. We've gone far enough without it.
1. I'm grateful I can feed my son.
2. I'm grateful I can witness the changes and growth he has had.
3. I'm grateful I had a good day with Dorian and Faith.
4. I'm grateful for the power of prayer.
5. I'm grateful for eternal perspective.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
To bring up the milk supply, eat a big bowl of oatmeal. I have heard nonquick oats is better, but I have used quick oats and still the next day I have a lot more milk. Good luck with the feeding. So happy for you that he is growing and getting everyday closer to being home with you.
Oh! I hope you are able to nurse your little guy soon!
Post a Comment