Saturday, June 07, 2008

The robin's nest is weighing down the branch it's sitting on. The babies are very crowded in there. I wonder how crowded our house will feel with 5 people in it, especially as 3 of those people get bigger. I hope the other 2 don't get any bigger.

And the day when there are 5 people here may be coming soon. Quinn had his primary nurse today and she talked to me a lot about what things will be like when he comes home. She talked about what having oxygen would be like, and the different supplements he is getting now and will likely still be getting then. He's currently getting iron and just started a vitamin supplement with all the fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E and K. He's also getting a very low dose of erythromycin, because one of its side effects is it moves things through the bowel more quickly. They swear to me it's not high enough to kill off gut flora, but apparently it's high enough to have side effects. One NP told me they often use drugs in the NICU that aren't specifically what they were designed for. She said they've had babies on Viagra, because it's a vasodilator. Just what we all wanted to know, right? And of course, it's likely Quinn will be sent home with some sort of fortifier, which means we wouldn't be breastfeeding all the time. He would need at least a couple of feedings that were fortified, so that means either bottle, or supplemental nursing system. I actually spoke with the nutitionist today, and that's what she told me. Nice to actually see this person face to face, unlike every single other specialist who has dealt with Quinn, some of whom have mercurial opinions on his needs. The urologist has evidently decided to wait on the VCUG until he is 3 or 4 months old. I have no idea where that came from, but I definitely need to get the real story on that. I also asked about the ophthalmologist's pronouncement of "immature." The nurse said it isn't usually graded unless surgery is looking imminent. At this point, all that was needed to know is that further observation is indicated, so "immature" is good enough for now.

And Quinn continues to do well. He's on the same respiratory settings, and should to come down just a bit on the rate of oxygen flow before we can begin breastfeeding and bottle feeding. But that doesn't happen all at once. He's 4 lbs 2 oz, so coming right along. He was pretty sleepy when I held him today, but that's what babies do. Earlier in the day, he had been more active. As long as he keeps doing what he's doing, I can almost get along with the other people. I just have to keep that in mind.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I would be very leery about bottle feeding. I recommend using a SNS (supplemental nursing system) instead. Quin can be fed the extra fortifier mixed with breastmilk and not get nipple confusion/preference. Glad he is closer to coming home!