Sunday, June 15, 2008

Okay, two biggies today, both of them good.

First of all, Quinn nursed for about 10 minutes today. It was so exciting! He latched on and just held on for awhile, looking confused, and then all of a sudden he started sucking and went to town with it. 10 minutes. He took breaks now and then, but he really got something this time. I think we've turned a corner with that. It will take more time, but we're getting there. Then I held him while he got the rest of the feed through his nasogastric tube. I can already see the difference this is making in my milk supply.

Secondly, Quinn got moved to the intermediate care nursery. This is one definite step toward coming home. There are no ventilators in this nursery, and we won't be kicked out for new admissions or procedures. We're on our way! He does need to come down one more notch on his oxygen before coming home, but I'm pretty sure that will happen within the time frame of his learning how to nurse. That's a very gradual process of working up to getting everything he needs by mouth. He needs to get stronger, but that is noticeably happening day by day. I think we're all getting stronger day by day.

1. I'm grateful for being one step closer to home.
2. I'm grateful to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
3. I'm grateful to have the children I do.
4. I'm grateful to have the husband I do.
5. I'm grateful to have the support that I do.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Good news!

Becky N. said...

Wow, great progress!! I'm so excited for you!

Does this all mean that coming home may happen before a hospital transfer? You make it sound like it's getting so close!