Saturday, June 28, 2008

As I mentioned last night, one reason I don't do photos very often is I hate fighting with Kurt's computer. Mine seems so much more tractable for some reason. Here I thought I had the process down, but I fail yet again. I'm on Kurt's computer right now and can't get these photos where I want them. The main reason they are here instead of mine is we want them all in the same place and Kurt's has a bigger hard drive. But it's quite obnoxious, and I'm done trying to coax it into cooperation for the night. So I apologize, but no pictures tonight.

I went to see Quinn twice today. We went all together in the mid afternoon, and Dorian and Faith enjoyed the new surroundings. This is the same hospital Faith was born in, so they both have been there before, not that they consciously remember, but they did seem at home. Quinn had had two bottles in a row, and I couldn't wake him up to nurse at all. So I pumped and we went home. I went back for an evening feed and this time he nursed for 20 minutes. He's up to 2530 g, 5 lbs 9 oz. His oxygen was up to 40% when we first got there and I was trying hard not to be worried that he had been pushed too hard yesterday with his pressure being lowered so much. I wondered if that's why he was so hard to wake up. I asked to speak to the neonatologist. He explained that even though the oxygen percentage is up, it isn't really 40% because with the lower flow, Quinn is inhaling a higher percentage of room air than he was on 2 or 3 liters/minute flow. He said he could do the calculations if we wanted, but the actual percentage was probably closer to 30%, which is what he had been getting for several weeks now. Kurt could probably do the math. He's good at fluid mechanics. Anyway, the explanation made me feel a bit better.

There was one other thing that disturbed me today. When I went back in the evening, there was a shift change going on and I couldn't enter the room because they would be talking about all the patients. This wasn't a scheduled shift change. Those are supposed to happen early morning, mid-afternoon, and late at night, so it wasn't my fault for being there at the wrong time. But I was told it would only be 10 minutes. After 20 minutes of pacing, I was allowed in. That's when I figured out that of the three people in this meeting, only two were nurses. The other was the teenage granddaughter of one of the nurses, so not a hospital employee, and not associated with any of the babies. I didn't say anything, though I probably should have, but why should she get to be there while reports are given on all the babies when she has no affiliation with them whatsoever? Is this a violation of HIPAA or am I overreacting? Maybe I should just cool my hormones and go to bed. That helps just about everything. And tomorrow I'll get Kurt to whip his computer into shape.

4 comments:

The Andrew Family said...

Congratulations on the transfer! I'm behind on reading blogs, glad to hear that Quinn is progressing and that much closer to going home!

sara said...

Oh I would be SO mad if I had seen that girl in there. I don't think you're overreacting. A non-routine shift change while making YOU wait to see your sweet baby and some random kid in there?! Not ok.

Glad he's closer to you though. I've been following your blog and I think you and your family are amazing. I hope the day comes soon when he's home in your arms where he belongs.

Candace said...

Hey Bronwyn, it's Candace Hayden. I haven't been on Mothering.com in forever and just thought I should look you up and see if you had your baby. I just wanted to let you know that we're thinking of you guys and will keep you in our prayers. I'm sorry you've had to go through this crazy, frustrating ordeal.

Queen Bee said...

That seems like a HIPAA violation to me unless she was there in an official capacity (even as a volunteer). That's why YOU were kept out of the room . . . I would report it.