Thursday, June 26, 2008

Beware of flying pigs. Yes, it happened. Quinn got transferred this morning. They were a bit late, but that it happened at all is more than I expected. I'm no conspiracy theorist, despite the fact that I was an X-phile. But I was beginning to wonder if the dragging out of this process was some sort of hazing for us. I'm probably just paranoid. And now I'm just hoping it was the right decision. The good things are it took me exactly 15 minutes to drive there, and it's a much smaller nursery, with only one other baby in it currently. But I am a little bit worried. When I got there and talked to the nurse to get the rundown of the new place, she said they like to have parents come around feeding times, and let the babies "rest" in between. I said that wasn't what I was used to, that I had been able to hold Quinn for most of the time between feeds, and kangaroo care. She said that's just what they like to do, and that it would be especially important today, because he'd had a busy day being transferred and all. He did look tired, but he also looked distressed. He cried today. I've rarely heard him cry. And he is now out of heat, no longer in an isolette. So for today at least, I could agree that he shouldn't be stressed any more than he was. But I might have to pry a little bit and find out if they really and truly think that kangaroo care is too much stimulation for Quinn. That seems ridiculous to me. There was a sign on the wall near Quinn's bed that read "Minimal Stimulation." That was a bit ominous. It's hard to break in a new set of people. But I don't want to lose hope yet. We have things to look forward to, like Quinn's due date in about 10 days. Hardly seems possible.

3 comments:

Becky N. said...

Flying pigs, oh my!!

How thrilling that Quinn was transferred! Although I do share concern about the upcoming challenge of dealing with a brand new set of people. I hope it won't be too stressful, or even too challenging at all. I will pray it all goes smoothly for you and Quinn. And that he can come home soon!

Megan said...

Cuddling with mommy and daddy seems a heck of a lot more relaxing than laying in an isolette by yourself.

I'm pretty sure mothering had a great article about kangaroo care during the last year or so. Perhaps some copies of that should be distributed.

Yvonne said...

Do premies react that differently I wonder? I mean, skin-to-skin is supposed to *lower* stress reaction levels in kids and people of all ages....

Glad he is closer so you can get there more often and I hope breaking in the crowd goes easy for you!