Monday, June 02, 2008

I'm still trying to contain myself. It's happening. Balls are rolling (and not heads!) Gears are in motion. And most important of all, one very little boy is making enormous strides. Kurt talked to an NP today who thought the transfer might happen within one week. That still seems like an awfully long time to accomplish the short list of things they want to do, but at least someone is willing to come out with a concrete date. That is a huge step from the vague answers we'd been getting until now. He will have his next eye exam either tomorrow or Wednesday, and urology is going to look at his hernia again, which I had all but forgotten about. It was mentioned in passing about 2 weeks ago and nothing since. I did some cursory research on the subject in Google Scholar, one of my new favorites, and then had other things to think about. But that needs to happen. The orthopedist may or may not happen before he leaves. That apparently isn't critical right now, and can be done as an outpatient anyway, so not a priority for transfer.

As for Quinn himself, he is up to 1755 g, and so has officially gained an entire kilogram since birth. That's up just a little from yesterday and translates to 3 lbs 14 oz. He's now getting 32 ml of milk per feed, and we're hopeful he can start nippling soon. Here's the exciting part though. All day long, his O2 has been in the mid-20's. I could hardly believe that when I heard. And his pressure has been lowered slightly, from 7 to 6. That doesn't sound like a lot, but I'll take any step in the right direction. The NP said she is no longer concerned about his lungs. She said his gut is a bigger problem, and it's not a big problem. We're on our way. I believe in miracles.

1. I'm grateful for the small things in life.
2. I'm grateful for miracles.
3. I'm grateful for the chance I have to be the mother of this special spirit.
4. I'm grateful for the example of determination from
5. I'm grateful for a hopeful future.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Wonderful news!!

Becky N. said...

Amazing, wonderful news! I can only imagine how eager and maybe even ecstatic you must feel! He really is taking leaps and bounds now. What a miracle he is.

Kim said...

How exciting! I'm sure you can hardly believe it. We'll keep our fingers crossed for a transfer!!!

Shauna said...

All I have to say is, YEAAAHH!!