Wednesday, June 18, 2008


This is our dog, Monty. Monty is a beagle. Beagles are scent hounds, bred to have a more sensitive sense of smell than dogs already have. Normally, I consider this aspect about Monty to be a nuisance, as his nose often leads him into trouble. But today I would have welcomed his help at the hospital in sniffing out any last details that might hinder Quinn's transfer. Yes, the hidden details strike again. Quinn is still downtown.

The doctor told me yesterday that Quinn would be transferred today, and that I would hear from them sometime during the day when it would happen so that I could meet them there. At 1 p.m. I still hadn't heard anything and called to ask about it. I spoke with a nurse practitioner who said "oh yes, Quinn saw the pulmonologist, got a chest x-ray, and we've been putting together his files to send over. Everything is set for tomorrow afternoon." I tried to process how today became tomorrow. When I told her I had thought it would be today, she asked who said that, and then declared that doctor to be too optimistic. She said Quinn really needed to see the pulmonologist before he went and the needed to put his files together, and that took time, because his history wasn't simple. I resisted the urge to point out to her that we have been talking about transferring Quinn for MORE THAN A MONTH. This was not a surprise. We knew it was possible that his eye exam would go well and allow the transfer to occur. Why wasn't the appointment with the pulmonologist scheduled before today? Why wasn't his file put together before the last minute? Why must I find out about these details after the fact? That was the whole point in having that meeting last week, to ferret out these sorts of things. I don't know the right questions to ask, I guess. Honestly, I'm not so much bothered that it didn't happen today. I am bothered that I was told it would happen today and it didn't. I would not have minded had the doctor said "It will take a day to iron out some things and we should be ready to go by Thursday." That to me is far more reasonable than what happened. I did also tell the nurse practitioner that this sort of thing is exactly the reason I want Quinn transferred, that I don't know whom to believe because I hear different things from different people, and I want fewer people involved in Quinn's care. She didn't take that well, but I've had it. Beaureacracy is killing any good they are doing. I should be used to this by now. I now know not to take anyone at their word.

Top it off, and we had a disappointing nursing session tonight. Quinn was beyond lethargic. He barely opened his eyes, and wouldn't suckle at all. I'm hoping he's just tired because he seems to have had a huge growth spurt. He's up to 2160 g, 4 lbs 12 oz. That's a lot of growing. And he'll keep doing that I hope. And tomorrow may be a better day for transfer anyway. Today it rained. Tomorrow, there will be sun. Here's hoping.

1 comment:

Becky N. said...

Oh, how completely frustrating!! I was so excited to hear news of his transfer, and I'm sure you were at least 10 times more excited for him to actually transfer than I was! And they go and put off FILES and a single appointment until AFTER you're told it would happen? You're right, not excusable in the least. Either someone should have been more up front with the loose ends that needed to be tied, or they should have kept their word.

I really really hope it WILL be tomorrow. I'll be watching anxiously! And I hope Quinn will be more excited to try nursing next time, too!