I'm feeling slightly discouraged. I went in this evening for the 6 pm feed, so that I could feed Quinn. It looked like that would be a good time. When I got there, he was awake and alert, looking around and squirming. I took him out, and got him latched on, and, nothing. He was still alert, but made no effort to actually nurse.I tried both sides, different positions, and still he wouldn't do it. The nurse had a bottle ready, and he took about 10 ml from that before falling asleep, and got the rest in a tube. I know it's early yet, that he just started feeding by mouth, but I don't feel like we're off to a good start. And I'm rarely there when the lactation consultants are there. I'll try and be there during their working hours tomorrow. The other reason this is discouraging is that my milk supply hasn't responded well to my efforst at increasing it. I do like eating oatmeal, and thanks for the suggestion to try that, but haven't noticed a difference yet. I'm currently not producing enough to feed him as it is, and we're going through the stored milk in the freezer. And there is so much wastage between getting it from me into Quinn. They mix up his fortifier with his full day's worth of milk. After it's thawed, it's only good for 24 hours. So whatever they thaw that is more than he needs that day is wasted. Then there is always a little left in the syringe after tube feeding. There's no question getting it directly from me is the most efficient way to do it. I have a book about preemies that says basically "Don't feel bad. The vast majority of preemie moms quit breastfeeding." Not the pep talk I was hoping for. I've long thought I should look up the local La Leche League chapter, and now seems like a good time to do that.
Another sort of discouraging thing today is that Quinn hasn't made any improvement respiratory wise all week. He might have even regressed. For the last two days, he hasn't really been below 30% O2, and hasn't decreased flow rate at all. That could be because he is trying to figure out how to eat, but it's still not what I'd hoped. I don't know how many miracles I'm justified in asking for.
On the up side, Quinn is very nearly 2 kg, and will probably get there tomorrow. That's roughly 4 lbs 6 oz. He is growing. I'll take progress where I can get it. And I need to tape my camera to myself so that I finally remember to bring it. Quinn is changing as he grows, and I need to keep documenting that. Here's to a more hopeful tomorrow.
1. I'm grateful for whatever time I can spend with Quinn.
2. I'm grateful for the gorgeous day we had today.
3. I'm grateful I live in such a pretty place.
4. I'm grateful Kurt has the day off tomorrow.
5. I'm grateful for good friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Ok first. You CAN do this. It is hard to BF a preemie but so important. I can't believe they are giving him bottles....at least make sure they are very slow flow and wide like a breast. Learning on a bottle and learning at the breast are very different things. I hate to say it but is there anyway you can camp out at the hospital for the majority of the day everyday? The only way he is going to catch on to the nursing thing is with a lot of skin to skin and access to the breast. Try some compression to get the milk to flow quicker so he gets a quick response. Fenugreek is great for supply (you will smell like maple syrup afterwards). Try to get them to make up the breastmilk/fortifier in small batches as to not waste the milk. Make sure you are pumping with an electric hospital grade pump every 2-3 hours. Has to be hospital grade for this kind of situation. Just the regular Medela Pump in Style doesn't cut it for sole pumping. There are LLL groups in Queensbury and Saratoga. Let me know which place you are closest to and I can give you the info. PM me on mothering.com if you want to talk about any of this and I'll give you my phone number. HUGS
Ok well I finally got to see the posts and in catching up with all of them Im just going to "reply" in this one. Forgive me if it ends up being long... As far as the breastmilk and what they feed Quinn.. Im having that same problem with Aybra.. They keep giving me all kinds of bullcrap reasons why they cant use my milk. So they have been giving her half and half. Neocate being the other formula because I specifically told them ONLY neocate.. Well guess what they did today? They changed the formula simply because they dont want to use the one they were because it is expensive...
The VCUG... Alo gets these every 6 months. He does have vesicoureteral reflux (aka kidney reflux). He has some other stuff too that they test on the VCUG as well as some other urology procedures. However he has only had one UTI and that was when he was in the NICU. He gets in and out caths every 3 hours for other bladder issues and has never had a UTI from those.. So unless Quinn is having UTIs I would not worry about the VCUG. Even if he does have the reflux it doesnt automatically mean that he will have UTIs. Also as far as the general consent you signed.. You can still refuse things even if they are covered under that consent form. They just dont want you to know that.
Keep reading that Chart mama! And if they give you problems with it take it to people higher up. You have every right to read that chart whether he is in or out of the hospital.
The immature diagnosis... Preemies eyes arent fully developed (like anything is).. Its very common to do numerous eye exams and watch "immature" eyes until they have matured.
And if you need some donor milk let me know!! In a post on My April archive on Aybras blog there are a bunch of tips to help increase milk.
motherlove's more milk plus tincture. miracle stuff. took it the whole time i was exclusively nursing my last.
and call your local wic office about the hospital-grade pump. they lent it to me free.
Try not to get to discouraged. Kaylie was the same way when it came to learning how to nurse. I thought she would never get it. It took a couple of weeks before she new how to nurse and didn't get so very tired after just a couple of swallows. Now she doesn't even know how to eat from a bottle. You do need a hospital grade pump and you have to pump every three hours or so, just like if he was home with you and nursing. THe more your breasts are stimulated the more milk you are going to make. Take care. Anjanette
Thanks all for the encouragement. Today was better, but we still have a long way to go.
Amy, I'll contact you tomorrow, if that's okay. Things get hectic when we try to cram everything we need to do into Kurt's days off. I've heard of fenugreek. I'll have to look that up.
Khourt, it turns out the VCUG wasn't actually recommended by the urologist anyway. I don't know who started that rumor, but it wasn't him. He's still a phantom as far as I'm concerned, since I haven't seen him. So we've crossed that off our list of worries for now.
And thanks for the suggestions, jen and Anjennette. Jen, can you give me a hint? Which jen are you? Just curious. I can't tell from your profile.
The really frustrating thing about all this is that I had a beautiful milk supply about one month ago. I should have donated some of it, but instead I let it decrease, because I was running out of room both at the hospital and in my own freezer. I knew I could bring it back up because I did that with both of older kids. But now it's sort of crunch time, and it isn't responding quite like I'd hoped it would. I'm still trying though. Just one more thing to work on.
Good luck increasing it!! Im always freaked out about my supply so I pump (probably more than I should) but I just dont want to risk it. Ive been donating what I can but I still have to end up dumping a pump or two per day because I just dont have room for it.
Post a Comment