Tomorrow's the day for the big meeting. Maybe I'm exaggerating. But it seems to be looming. Among the things I'm sure we'll discuss is when and how we can get Quinn out of this hospital, and whether that's to transfer to another hospital or to go home. Yes, we're actually coming to that point, amazing as it seems. He's coming along, and it will happen soon. I did try to nurse him this morning. He was so ridiculously sleep however, and try as I might, he wouldn't get into it. He latched on well enough, and I know he got a taste of it. But I was hoping he would get the taste and say "Mmm, more more!" But he just lay there. He has gotten a bottle, so we tried that next. He got roughly 4 ml before falling asleep again. Then he needed to be tube fed the rest, so I put him back in his isolette. The little stinker immediately opened his eyes, looked around, and waved his arms, just like he wanted to be involved in everything going on. I might have tried again at that point, but I had had to bring Dorian and Faith with me, since we were going somewhere together immediately afterward, and they were sort of losing it. They had been pretty good all things considered, but it wasn't the calm peaceful environment that is ideal for nursing, especially the first time. I did ask about a supplemental nursing system, and the nurse said yes, they do have those available, but we had come too early for the lactation consultants. They didn't come in for another hour. There were some really good things about our session today. Quinn didn't desat at all while I was trying to feed him, and when I left, I noticed his oxygen was about 23%. His new machine doesn't have a digital display, just a dial, so I'm estimating. He lost a bit of weight yesterday, down to 1910 g. But overall he has gained well lately, so one day off isn't a big concern. I'm kicking myself that I didn't bring my camera today. I was running around like an absolute madwoman this morning trying to get everything ready for our day downtown, and the camera lay forgotten on the shelf. Next time.
1. I'm grateful I was able to nurse my son today.
2. I'm grateful I'm still producing milk for him.
3. I'm grateful to live in the US.
4. I'm grateful for people uniting in a cause.
5. I'm grateful for everything my children have taught me, hard though some of those lessons were.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sending you lots of good vibes for the meeting. I hope it goes well.
That it great that you were able to try nursing.
Let me know if you want info on supplemental nursing supplies.
SO glad you finally got to try and breastfeed Quinn! It is the beginning of a wonderful new aspect of your relationship. I hope he gets the hang of it soon.
Post a Comment