Saturday, May 31, 2008

Another routine day. Feeds are 28 ml every 3 hours, O2 varied between 29 and 31 all day. And yes, it was that specific. I looked at Quinn's chart, and each entry was either 29 or 31. I've gotten into the habit of checking the chart when I first get there, and it seems to depend on the nurse how they react to that. The ones who know me don't seem to think twice about it. But ones who haven't seen me before, like today's nurse, fairly snatch it out of my hands. That's happened at least 3 times, but no one comes right out and says "You shouldn't be looking at that." They say things like "I'll give you a summary of today." or "If you have any questions, be sure to ask me." as they are taking it back from me. Maybe I'll actually ask one of these days if it's okay for me to look at the chart myself. But I've been at this for 66 days now, and deciphering the chart opened up a new world. I get a different perspective from the chart than what the nurse tells me. Put it together and it's a bigger picture. Quinn is my child. I want the full picture. But I probably don't need to explain this. It's a natural desire. Pray for continued improvement.

1. I'm grateful for every step in the right direction.
2. I'm grateful for Quinn's determination to get better.
3. I'm grateful for any and all time we can spend together as a family.
4. I'm grateful for weekends, which mean family time and horse time.
5. I can't believe I'm going to admit this one, but I'm grateful for the rain. We actually needed it, and I admit that. I've come far.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are exactly right.. he is your child and you have every right to read his chart just like you have every right to all of his medical records.. Ive found that they dont like you to read it while the child is hospitalized though.. I guess because if you disagree and question them they dont have to face it.. Ive had a few nurses that were flat out rude when I read the charts.. If they tell me they will help me I just say no thanks Im doing just fine and I make sure to hold tight so they cant take it away :) It really does let you know a lot more when you read the chart versus what they tell you because they tend to "forget" a lot of things or leave them out and think they arent important.

Bronwyn said...

Awhile back, I read the book "Confessions of a Medical Heretic" by Robert Mendelsohn, MD. Throughout the book, he uses the metaphor of modern medicine being a church, and doctors are the priests. I was thinking about this last night as Kurt and I were talking about why they wouldn't want me to read the chart, one possible reason being in case I misinterpret it. Then I thought about the history of the Bible, how the church fought translating it from Latin because they liked the idea that the people had to go to the priests for it's interpretation. Fitting, I thought. Use symbols and jargon so that the average person can't understand the chart and needs help from medical personnel. But heaven forbid someone should figure it out and draw her own conclusions. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey. Hows it going? I havent seen a new post in a while. Im worried about you guys.

Bronwyn said...

I'm confused. I've updated everyday. Doesn't it show up for you?

Anonymous said...

No. The last post I see was from the 31st :( I cleared all of my stuff.. Maybe I need to clear again.