Thursday, May 15, 2008

A number of new things today. First, a milestone. Quinn has officially doubled his birth weight! He was born at 750 g and is now 1500 g, 3 lbs 5 oz. He's actually starting to fill out the preemie sized onsies. I thought it would never happen. And he looks more like a small newborn now and is noticeably heavier.

Another change and one Quinn initiated: he's back to the regular CPAP. He didn't like the prongs that went halfway down his windpipe, so he pulled them out. Time to try something else. That happened last night. Now he has a mask over his nose. That means half the air pressure of the other configuration, which is a step in the right direction. The advantage of the long prongs however is that they deliver the extra air beyond his esophogus. Now with the mask over his nose, some of the air ends up in his belly. He's had issues with this in the past and now it's back. They actually held him off one of his feeds today because his belly was too full of air. If it continues, they will have to put in an IV and restart IV nutrition. I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but it's looking likely. I saw him tonight and he was obviously uncomfortable. His belly looked like a balloon. Poor kid. Pray for good motility so that he can keep eating. He is doing so well with his weight gain I hate to see that slow down. I finally got to hold him today. I hadn't since Saturday. I was hoping the change in positions would help all the air move one direction or another, but no such luck. He looked no better when I put him back 45 minutes later than he had when we started. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment period.

1. I'm grateful for any and all improvement.
2. I'm grateful for the beautiful weather we've had.
3. I'm grateful Kurt has a 3 day weekend.
4. I'm grateful I can be a stay at home mom.
5. I'm grateful I've documented so much of our experience there. When this is all a distant nightmare, it will remind me how strong we became through it.

1 comment:

RasJane said...

Thank you so much for keeping this blog. There are so many who love you so much and are praying so hard for you!
I appreciate your gratitude lists. You are so strong. I admire you.