Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Nothing like getting barked at for being too well-dressed. Kurt went to visit Quinn straight from work, wearing his tie and everything. When he got into Quinn's nursery, there was a tour of some donors for the new children's hospital going on in that room, consisting of several people dressed in suits listening to a lecture. Kurt went over the Quinn's bedside and put his hands through the doors of the isolette. A nurse from across the room said "Hey! What are you doing?" Kurt said Quinn was his son. By way of apology, she said "Oh, I didn't see your bracelet." Of course she didn't. I doubt she even looked for it. Even if she had, Kurt's purple bracelet lost almost all of its color while he was working on my car last weekend. That wonderful system they have in place that works so well for them...yeah, I've already complained about that one.

Overall, it was a less than stellar day for the nurses. Quinn's nurse all but totally ignored Kurt while he was there, spending all her time across the room with another charge, who by Kurt's description wasn't in obvious need. Quinn's immediate neighbor got discharged, and so we thought we'd get more attention, as he was a very high needs baby, and it often prevented us from talking to the nurses or from holding Quinn. But apparently, if you aren't screaming for attention, you don't get it. The nurse gave Kurt a minimal update, which included reporting that his eating was up, and he had been at 40 to 45% O2 all day. So, eating is up, breathing is down. Tomorrow, maybe they'll reverse. And maybe we'll get some friendlier nurses. And I'll be sure to come dressed in rags so they have no doubt who I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a nurse. I hope she apologized to Kurt. We also have the bracelet system.. I have one on and my sister has the other.. They always question who she is and ask her if I am back there when she calls to go back and see Aybra. Its so annoying.

Gosh.. They werent even sure that Aybras dad was Aybras dad.. They had to ask me because they thought they were just letting some strange man go back.. Doesnt give you a lot of confidence.

Anyway I hope Quinn has many up days to come. I know you have had it really tough.