Thursday, May 22, 2008

I'm just coming back from an out-of-body experience. Okay, it's not quite that dramatic, but I do feel as if I stepped outside myself tonight. I spent about an hour and a half being social in the NICU. Those who know me well know I'd have no problem being a hermit. I talk pretty easily to those I know well, but to those I don't, it takes some effort. So tonight was a bit strange. I was talking with a nurse practitioner, and then with Quinn's primary nurse. It was actually sort of fun, though the NP said she was a bit depressed after our conversation. We talked about all the things that are happening to our generation of children, how no one has a good handle on where it's all coming from or how to prevent it or control it. We just have to weigh risks and benefits for our kids, make a decision, and hope for the best. This is interesting it came up like that, because I had spent much of the day watching and worrying about Dorian, whether or not he is on the autism spectrum. And then I go and have a conversation about things being on the rise: autism, allergies, cancer, diabetes, you name it. Our kids aren't healthy. And that's if they are full-term with no other problems to start with. And since preemies are surviving at much higher rates today, that also affects the numbers. So, weighty topic, but then we moved on to lighter things, like the fact that this NP thought moving "way out here" (meaning 150 miles from where she grew up) was such a change and she's never been west of Texas. I named off the states I've lived in, much less visited, and she thought I was quite the world traveler. I suppose so, in a way. But only by comparison.

So, that was an interesting side note. In other news, Quinn is doing well. Kurt failed to mention to me yesterday that he is getting a round of Lasix, a diuretic. He figured since Quinn had gotten it before, it wasn't such a big deal. But it turns out it's different this time. Before he had gotten it in connection with a blood transfusion to flush out the extra fluids that come with that, so it was a one time dose. Now, he's getting it daily for about 5 days. They are hoping to reduce the fluid in his lungs. And it seems to be working. His nurse said his lungs sound much clearer today, and his O2 is down to 33%, the lowest it's been in a long time. So keep your fingers crossed that this makes a huge difference. I talked to the NP about transferring, and getting Quinn off his bi-nasal breathing apparatus is one of the main priorities for that to happen. The other thing that needs to happen is that he needs to be totally stable on milk, because the other hospital cannot do long-term IV nutrition. So that's what we're working toward. He is up to about 2/3 nutrition from milk vs. IV, and possibly as soon as tomorrow night will be off IV altogether. And then we watch to see if he keeps tolerating it. I'll cross my toes for that one.

1. I'm grateful to find understanding in unexpected places.
2. I'm grateful to be alive in the time of the internet.
3. I'm grateful for the friends I have and the support they give.
4. I'm grateful for the gospel in my life.
5. I'm grateful for the beauty of the world around me.

No comments: