Friday, May 16, 2008

Cars are wonderful things, when they work. My car, which is on it's last legs anyway, was in desperate need of new brake pads. And we tend to cram everything we need to do into Kurt's days off as it is. Sum it all up, and we didn't make it to the hospital today. It sucks, but so does much of what has happened to us this year.

I had really hoped to see Quinn today after his readjustments to the CPAP. He's back on IV nutrition, and has been NPO most of the day. I hate when this happens, but I saw what he looked like last night, his little belly totally swollen up and looking uncomfortable, so I understand why. He also got a blood transfusion today and a dose of Lasix to clear out some fluid in his lungs. He had had low hematocrit a few days ago. Hopefully all this translates to better breathing and eating. The nurse practioner I spoke to earlier today said they would hold off his food and see if the swelling improved. If not, they would look into causes for infection. The most likely cause of the swelling is the CPAP, which makes sense timing wise. And he wasn't acting sick. He was still alert and active about the same amount of time as usual. As I've said before, all this means is that we're asking super human things of him. And in general, he is responding well. He just gets tired of being super human now and then.

today's list:
1. I'm grateful to everyone who reads and comments here. I read and appreciate all comments.
2. I'm grateful for all the love and support from all around the country.
3. I'm grateful for my relationship with Kurt, that our friendship and love has been a source of strength and support for us and our children.
4. I'm grateful for our bodies' incredible ability to heal. I'm feeling better all the time, and Quinn is making miraculous strides.
5. I'm grateful for my love of reading and the ability to write. This record wouldn't be possible without it.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Sending you love and light! I read regularly to keep up on how you all are. (amydoula from mothering)

RasJane said...

Ohh, car trouble is icky on a good day. I hope you get to see Quinn tomorrow and that he is doing better O2-wise.
G saw the picture you last posted of Quinn. "How Cute!" he proclaimed. He wants him to get big and strong too.
So, lots of love from Oregon...