Wednesday, May 07, 2008

It's really starting to worry me that I can't count on a consistent word from anyone at the hospital. I called this morning, trying to plan the day, on the off chance that someone knew when the IV would be removed this afternoon. The nurse didn't know exactly, but she did know that she had been told to withhold Quinn's 2:00 feed, so she guessed it would be sometime between 2 and 6. I asked when we might know more specifically, and I sure remember her telling me she would call when she knew more, that they would get at least an hour's notice and she would let me know. I never heard from her. Fast forward to 5:00 when Kurt got home from the hospital, and he said Quinn had had his IV removed at noon, that it wasn't his 2:00 feed he didn't get, it was his 11:00, and the nurse told Kurt she would have called me if he hadn't had the procedure before she went home from her shift this evening. I won't say who misunderstood whom, because that would be almost impossible to determine at this point, but I'm getting very tired of not being able to count on people down there. It's to the point where I've done some cursory research on other hospitals in the area, places that might have fewer doctors and nurses, so that there would hopefully be more consistency, as well as being closer to us. And what I've found isn't all that encouraging. Very few of the hospitals in the area are forthcoming about their facilities. With some ferreting, I've only found two that say they have a NICU at all, and only one of those admits what level it is, meaning what care it can provide. I hate hospitals.

On a more encouraging note, Quinn is doing well. He handled the procedure just fine and now has one less tube attached to him. They've also increased his feeds again, and said the goal now is to get him to 20 ml per feed. That's another number that keeps changing, how much he should be taking in, but I've already expressed my opinion on the seeming fickleness of it all. But he continues to improve, and in the grand scheme of things, that's what we're trying to accomplish. I have to keep that in mind, no matter how frustrated I get with other people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are dealing with the communication issues as well. I hope both yours and mine gets better and FAST!! How is Quinn doing off of the vent?

Bronwyn said...

Quinn is doing well without the vent. He's at about 30% o2 with the CPAP, and no more apnea, AFAIK. I don't know so much about pips and peeps, I still can't quite keep them straight. But he's doing much better and that's what counts.

Anonymous said...

Im glad he is doing better and you are right, that is all that counts. I hope you are doing well also.

BTW I didnt know you were Mormon but I read something last night that made me wonder if you were.