Tuesday, May 13, 2008

We take the good with the bad. Quinn's oxygen was up to 45% today, and apparently was for most of the day. Oxygen is considered a drug and has risks as well as benefits. The subject of my prayers lately has been to heal Quinn's lungs, so that he doesn't need as much oxygen, or all the equipment he has. I'm hoping that improves. But there was also good today. For the last 2 weeks or so, Quinn hasn't done nearly as well on his back as on his belly, requiring more oxygen when on his back, and today he spent about equal time on both, and didn't need extra oxygen. So maybe something is improving. He is 1445 g, about 3 pounds 3 ounces. So he's definitely growing. He had his eye exam today, and there were no surprises, follow up in 3 weeks. I didn't get to hold him today. I thought I was planning around his feeds, but evidently he got off his schedule somewhere along the way, and was being fed an hour later than I thought he would. That means neither Kurt nor I have held him since Saturday. I held his hand and talked to him, but that's not nearly the same thing. I talked to his nurse-yet someone else who hadn't seen him before-about transferring hospitals, and she said she would leave a note for the case worker to call me and talk about it. She said it's something they do on a regular basis, once the babies really don't need their level of care, so they can have more room for those who do. She also said the case worker is very proactive about getting babies moved, and if we haven't heard from her, it's probably because Quinn isn't ready. I had figured that much, I just wanted to get the ball rolling to make sure people knew it was something we were very interested in. I met a nurse tonight who said she is good friends with Quinn's primary night nurse, whom I've only spoken to on the phone. She said this nurse just loves Quinn, and always makes sure she works with him. She's on vacation now and told her friend to take good care of him. It hit me pretty hard that this person has spent infinitely more time with my baby than I have. I mean, I'm glad she likes him and gives him some stability in how many people work with him, but babies belong with their mothers. And my arms and belly are empty of him.

No comments: