Sunday, May 18, 2008

Quinn is still starving. His x-ray this morning was "improved" but not good enough. There is still some air and thickened lining. So he's getting TPN again, and they will check again tomorrow morning and reevaluate. I was there this morning when they started rounds, but just before they got to Quinn, they ran off to another nursery and hadn't come back by the time I left 45 minutes later. I called this afternoon to get the update. And the PA I spoke to told me everything I just described and then said "Okay?" No, it's not okay. What am I supposed to say to that? Okay as in I understood the words you said? Okay as in this is a good situation? I asked about preventing this scenario in the future, since this is at least the second time Quinn has had this issue, and she said there's really no way to prevent it, that they just watch as they give him food again. They don't know why babies suddenly stop tolerating their feeds. That doesn't make any sense to me at all, but saying that out loud to her wasn't getting any further toward a definite answer, so I felt it wasn't worth pursuing. I did ask her why they would wait until tomorrow morning. Yesterday, they were checking every 12 hours, which I thought was a bit of a long stretch, and she said it was because they don't want to do too many x-rays, you know, radiation exposure and all that. This is what I love about not talking to the same person twice. (note: heavy sarcasm) I was the one who, when he had his very first x-ray, expressed concern that he not get too much radiation exposure, and and surprise that they didn't have to ask us before doing something like that. But, I'd never spoken to this person before, so she didn't know that. And it's not that my position is changed, it's that last night I was told that their evening evaluation was based solely on his girth measurements and overall appearance, so I was wondering if they were planning on doing any of that tonight, or just leaving it all until tomorrow. And it looks like everything will be left until tomorrow. She said he's a big enough baby that it's okay that he only gets IV nutrition for a little while. A whopping 3 lbs 5 oz is big enough to do that I guess. And of course he's lost some weight over the course of the last few days. Okay, enough complaining. It's not doing me any good.

No comments: