It's been awhile since we've done any kangaroo care. I was excited to do that tonight. It was good for both of us. When I got there, Quinn's oxygen was at 45. By the time I left, it was down to 38. Bottom line, babies need to be held. He kept pulling those prongs out of his nose. It happened no fewer than 5 times while I held him, not that I blame him. I wouldn't want them shoved up my nose either. And the thing is I wouldn't notice right away, and his saturation levels wouldn't change. So he was definitely ready to turn down the oxygen. He's ramping his feeds back up. I'm hoping he stops blowing up his belly. He lost more than 50 g while he was NPO over the weekend. That's 3% of his body weight. I hope we can just look forward now. I left yet another message for the coordinator to look at what it would take to transfer hospitals. I know it won't be immediately, but I hope to at least get it in the works, so that when he's ready, we can do it.
In other news, Quinn is now the longest-term resident of that room. His other long-term neighbor just got upgraded to the PICU, pediatric ICU, so we're the veterans now. It's not a title I relish. It just marks the passage of time. This is day 47, half a season, one eighth of the year. It's a long time to live in a 2' by 3' space. And I don't need to point out the obvious that it ain't over yet.
1. I'm grateful I got to hold my baby today.
2. I'm grateful I could play in the sunshine with my older two kids.
3. I'm grateful for all those who support us, physically and through prayers.
4. I'm grateful we live in such a beautiful part of the world.
5. I'm grateful for the family I have.
6 comments:
So glad to hear you had a good day!
Amydoula
Oh, Yay! He got to cuddle his momma! Lucky boy.
I'm so relieved to hear that his O2 is better today.
I am glad he is doing better today, that is a really sweet picture :)
Hi Bronwyn! It is so wonderful to see you smiling and holding Quinn. I'm sure he loved beig held by his mom:)
I saw your comment for Aybra about Kaia reading a "good book". I'm LDS too, and the mom of a preemie as well. (I know Khourtney through a trach message board)
Glad you got to do some Kangaroo care. Tommy was an older preemie-33 weeks-and a heart baby. He's still got his own set of issues but he's trucking along!
Rene
I love how you end most blogs with "I am thankful for:" Reminds me to take better stock in my blessings. You and yours continue in our prayers. Glad you were able to Kangaroo a bit.
Post a Comment