Monday, May 05, 2008

Communication is key. Yesterday, Kurt was told by the doctor making rounds that Quinn would be getting his IV line out "by midnight," which I not only thought was a strange time, I thought it was strange that it was happening at all. It seemed too soon to me. When I went down today, I asked when it would come out and got some blank looks, followed by comments like "it's too soon, we want more time after going to full feeds." And while it doesn't surprise me that not everyone involved in Quinn's care is on the same page, it does very much disappoint me. This is a large teaching hospital and continuity of care is very hard to come by. I'll just try not to worry that one of these miscommunications might turn disastrous.

Quinn did have his other procedure done today, and apparently directly before it, he completely and totally emptied his bowels. They went ahead with it anyway, which irks me a bit, but I wasn't there to say no. And surprise surprise, it was normal. An hour later I got to change a poopy diaper, so hopefully he's working things through on his own now, and that will relieve the pressure on his lungs. He is still intubated, and likely will be until his IV line is out, which I still don't have an idea when that will be. I had a hard enough time pinning someone down this morning who knew what was happening today, and when I did, the answer was "I don't know, we'll call you when we do." I guess I'll do the same thing tomorrow. Life by the minute.

No comments: