Kurt went to the hospital alone today. Dorian and Faith went to playgroup without me, so I had a very restful day.
Kurt reports that Quinn is his old vigorous self again. Apparently he nearly flopped himself out of his bed. Kurt got to kangaroo him today, so things are looking up. He is STILL NPO, and I'm so frustrated by that, but they are hearing gut sounds now, which they hadn't before, so maybe soon. I think I will decrease my milk supply. I've done that before and brought it back up to full force, so I know it's possible. I'm just having a hard time picturing Quinn ever consuming as much as I've produced, when hopefully someday soon he'll be taking it directly from me. And in the mean time, I'm really running out of freezer space. It's amazing how people can subsist on IV nutrition. Yesterday the nurse told us Quinn is a little over a kilo now, so about 2.2 pounds. And we're coming up on three weeks now. In some ways it seems like an eternity. But occasionally I wonder where the last 10 years or so have gone. Aren't I still 17? And if so, where did all these kids come from? Time is a funny thing.
Today's list:
1. I'm grateful Quinn is acting like his old self again.
2. I'm grateful I got a long rest today.
3. I'm grateful Kurt has a good job that allows him flexible hours so that he can take the time he needs for our family.
4. I'm grateful I can stay connected with people through the internet.
5. I'm grateful for the beautiful spring weather and the flowering trees. We really do live in a pretty place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Can you (and do you want to) donate your extra milk to other preemies? I know there is a need for it at many hospitals.
I would, and I asked a lactation consultant about that, and she told me there are enormous hoops to jump through in order to do that, mostly state regulations. I hate our state. I'd really just love for Quinn to eat it. I just read this article and I'm feeling even more frustrated by NPO.
http://www.babyreference.com/FeedingPreemieForBestSurvival.htm
About subsisting on IV nutrition, I actually wish there were some easy way to hook us all up to IVs. I never felt better during my entire first pregnancy than when they put the IV in me when I was in labor at the hospital. I so wanted to bring that IV home with me.
I have full confidence that your milk supply can be brought back up again after it's gone down. Our bodies are amazing at functioning according to supply and demand principles, seems like.
Bronwyn!
I am so glad you decided to do a Blog. We love to know how you guys are doing. We love you guys and we have you in our prayers, especially Baby Quinn. The Boys miss their cousins and ask about you often (and also about Monty :)
We will see you soon!
Shauna, all I have to say is, Owwwww...
Hi renee! When are you going to start a blog? Come on, everyone is doing it.
Post a Comment