It's a good thing our house is made of brick. Very often I find I need a good solid wall to bang my head against.
An NP at the NICU just called. Guess who is NPO again? Quinn has a belly full of air again, and this time it's interfering with his lungs and causing him to need far more oxygen than he's ever needed. An x-ray showed how compressed the lungs were. The NP said the attending doctor tomorrow may want to do a barium enema to see if there is any obstruction that might not show up on x-ray, and that may also be therapeutic and get things moving again. The NP also said that she thinks this problem is related to his surgery, which was two weeks ago today. I agreed, and had few kind words for the team that overdosed him with anesthetic. After I hung up, I was thinking just how thoroughly frustrating it is that Quinn hasn't recovered from that surgery. Then I looked at myself lying on the couch, three and a half weeks after my own surgery, and still in significant pain. Maybe I shouldn't expect him to heal faster than I am. Doesn't ease my frustration much, though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I didnt know he had surgery :/ Hope things look better for him soon!!
They tried and tried and tried to get a PICC line in him and failed. So he got a central line under general anesthesia. They gave him what amounts to an overdose of anesthesia, although the OR team says they just use a different protocol than the NICU would use. What it amounts to is that Quinn's body didn't tolerate it, which is the bottom line. He was on the vent for 2 days, got a blood transfusion, and had medication to stabilize his blood pressure. All for an IV line. And that was 2 weeks ago and he still hasn't quite returned to how well he was doing before all that happened. Those people won't be touching him again.
Post a Comment