Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The fun continues. The NICU just called. I was trying to nap, and let the machine get it. Then it rang again, and it was Kurt saying the NICU had called him. They think Quinn has some sort of infection. He's been relatively inert, and has had a few apnea episodes. The NP who talked to Kurt said they want to put the CPAP back in place, do a spinal tap, and start antibiotics. And no, he still hasn't eaten since Saturday. She told him "I got the impression you guys wanted to be asked before we do this sort of thing." I'm so glad Kurt got to handle this instead of me. I would have gone ballistic on the woman. Why is it so unusual that I want to know what's going on with my child, and have a say in what happens to him? Do they other parents they deal with just give them free rein and say whatever? Anyway, the plan is CPAP, antibiotics for a week, unless the culture is negative, and otherwise watch and see. I can't help but wonder if all the problems he's had in the last week are directly related to his overdose in the OR. He had been fine up until that point. One thing is for sure: whatever team did that surgery won't be touching him again.

No comments: