Friday, July 04, 2008

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
-Miracle Max, The Princess Bride

It was while I was trying to nurse Quinn the second time today that I discovered the truth of the above. The first feeding had gone about as well as any of the other feedings we'd had all week. Then tonight, I decided to let it play out, no matter how long it took. The feed started at 4:30. At about 4:50, the nurse came over and said "We're going to have to start his bottle in a few minutes, because, you know, it's almost 5." I looked at her and said "Babies don't do schedules." She left us alone, and five minutes later, Quinn latched on and went to work for the next 20 minutes. I wonder if he had been getting some nipple confusion. It didn't seem like a coincidence that Sunday was the last good feed we'd had and that was also the first day he had all bottle feeds and no tube feeds. This restores my confidence that we will have a good breastfeeding relationship. We just need to get away from the hospital to do it.

In other miracles, Quinn is three months old today, and 6 lbs even. He had gone back up on his oxygen when I was there this morning, but by afternoon was back down to 1/13th of a liter. Just two more notches before it gets turned off completely. We're ready for him. I got my new newborn-sized cloth diapers yesterday. They are pretty tiny compared to the infant and toddler sizes I have, but I'm sure they will still drown Quinn. He has plenty of clothes, we've got a place for him to sleep, Grandma's here, we just need Quinn himself to complete the picture. Speaking of pictures, yes, I still need to download the camera and get those updated. That's a miracle for another day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog, but I'd like to say how great it is that you're continuing to work on getting him to nurse. My brother was also a premie and my mom had a lot of difficulties nursing him in the hospital. Within a week of getting him home he was nursing well and continued to do so for the next two years. He had a number of health problems in his first years and my mom believes that being breastfed saved his life on more than one occasion. I hope that nursing your little guy continues to get better. Here's one more set of positive thoughts for your family.

Amy said...

yay for Quinn nursing today! He'll do so much better at home. Can't wait to get that good news.

Jan Kate Brower Arnell said...

Love the quote about miracles. You and Quinn continue to amaze me. Hurry for you for not taking any guff from the nurses and letting Quinn take his time to figure it all out... Amazing mommy ... amazing baby!