Thursday, July 03, 2008

Not very long ago, we were prepared to bring Quinn home in any condition in which he could reasonably leave the hospital. This basically meant supplemental oxygen. We were told he needed to be on 1 liter/minute flow at the most. Then just a few days ago, the doctor told me she wanted him to be on half a liter to go home. Today she told me she thinks he can be completely off of it before he's discharged. I'm torn. As great as it sounds to have Quinn home completely unencumbered by extraneous tubes and wires, I'd also like to get him home sooner. He's currently on 1/13th of a liter, half what he was yesterday. He's also gaining very well, up to 5 lbs 14 oz. Both of those are good enough to fit the criteria of coming home. But his doctor seems to think that within the next week he will be off oxygen completely and then he can come home. I hope that's right, and it doesn't drag on interminably. It's been long enough, for crying out loud. Quinn will be 3 months old tomorrow.

As excited as I am about all the respiratory progress Quinn has made since transferring, I'm continually worried about how poorly nursing has gone since then. It's day after day of discouragement, which is another reason I want to get him home. The nurses discourage me from continuing to try to get him to nurse because it throws off his sacrosanct schedule. I've already expressed my opinion on schedules for babies. But I'm almost willing to play the game now if it means getting him home that much sooner. I hate giving in, but on the other hand, I hate contention as well. I'm still feeling my way with that one, and might be for a very long time.

1. I'm grateful for the holiday weekend.
2. I'm grateful to live in the U.S.
3. I'm grateful for my family.
4. I'm grateful for all I've learned on this and other journeys.
5. I'm grateful I can usually see the humor in things.

1 comment:

Amy said...

He's probably got nipple confusion. Very common for young babies that have been given so many bottles this early. At the very least make sure they are using a very wide nipple with a slow flow like Playtex nursers. I totally agree with you that it is imperative that you get him home to do exclusive breastfeeding since they don't seem very breastfeeding supportive at the hospital. Breastfeeding and bottle feeding are completely different mechanisms (the suck and the way the tongue is used) and can easily be confused in a baby this young. I think once you can just have him with you skin to skin all the time this will help the situation.