D-day minus 3.
Another day, another neonatologist. I asked today's neo what needs to happen for Quinn to be discharged. The first thing she said is that I need to be CPR certified. Check. I told her I had the class scheduled for this afternoon. That took her by surprise. Then she said it should happen by the end of the week. So I tried again. "What needs to happen in that amount of time?" After some thought, she said, "Well, how about tomorrow?" Isn't amazing when you stop and think about what you're doing and why, you find that you don't have a good reason? I agreed to tomorrow, knowing full well what "tomorrow" means in hospital-speak. And I was right. The nurse manager, standing nearby, pointed out that we need to get an apnea monitor and know how to use it. This doesn't come from the hospital. It comes from a company that puts out home health supplies. So that's happening tomorrow, and he "needs" to be on it for at least 24 hours. Then the neo looked at his records and found that he has been on his current oxygen settings since Friday. She wants him steady on those settings for a full week, which brings us to this coming Friday as Discharge Day. In that time period, he'll also have his hearing test, and car seat test, to make sure he can make it home without undo respiratory stress.
So there it is. Hopefully the plans are set in motion, and I have the checklist of what everyone needs to be doing to accomplish this by Friday. And then Quinn and I can get down to the serious business of making up for the entire lost third trimester. I think he's anxious too. I really believe it's gotten to the point where he will progress more quickly at home. He made enormous strides right after he was transferred, and I think something similar will happen once he's home with his family. He's up to 6 lbs 7 oz, and climbing. We'll hope for continued progress, in all areas.
1. I'm grateful for all the progress we've seen.
2. I'm grateful the progress gives us hope for the future.
3. I'm grateful we've gotten some balls rolling.
4. I'm grateful for the continued support we receive on all sides.
5. I'm grateful that some day I will look back on this time period.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You can get on the ball yourself with the apnea monitor and setup a time with the company that works for you either at your house or the hospital. Sometimes they want to wait until very last minute. Aybra got hers like 3 hours before being discharged.. Had we not gotten it we would have had to wait even longer, so I would see if you can set the monitor training up for as soon as possible. That way it will be out of the way.. And I hope he comes home very soon. He is coming home on oxygen, right? Is he coming home on an apnea monitor and pulseox? If so Id ask for only the pulseox.
I'm just getting caught up after being gone since last Thursday on vacation - and boy what progress and changes you guys have made! I hope all the preparations go well - maybe, just MAYBE, friday will work out for you!!! I can't imagine dealing with the constant hospital "scheduling" for over 100 days. Just two separate 24 hours with healthy newborns was the catalyst that made me pursue my first homebirth. I think I might go absolutely crazy in your situation. And I know you're struggling through it, yourself, so I hope it's all over very soon!
Post a Comment