Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Today is Dorian's birthday. He is four years old. We thought that maybe he and Quinn would share a birthday, or at least have them very close, since my due date is next Monday. Well, we all know how that one went. But I had a busier day than usual trying to make it a good birthday. In between feeds at the hospital, I ran home and made a cake, and then frosted it when I came home the second time, while Kurt wrapped the presents I'd bought. Then we went out to have chicken nuggets, Dorian's favorite, for dinner, while my bread was rising. Throw in a load of laundry and pumping every three hours, and I think I'm going to bed early tonight. But Dorian seemed to enjoy everything we did. We'll have more celebrations this weekend when his cousins come to visit.

All the running around may have contributed to the continued problem of Quinn not nursing well. I hate to speculate what the source is, but we have not had a good time with nursing since Sunday night when I thought we were well on our way to a good breastfeeding relationship. I could not wake him up for anything. And even when I did, he wasn't all that interested in nursing. And the super frustrating thing is I get there and the nurses say "Oh, you should have seen it! He was awake and looking at his mobile, and looking around. He was so cute!" And I'm thinking: great, I'm glad he can be awake and all, but why do I need to rouse him out of a deep sleep in order to feed him? Why not feed him when he is awake of his own accord?

I was also told by one nurse today that it would be nice if Quinn could get some fresh breastmilk now and then. The milk I bring is frozen solid, because I have a week's worth in the freezer, and I bring the oldest. She said she understood that, but Quinn would benefit from getting milk that's never been frozen. Pardon me while I bang my head against the wall. Isn't that one of the reasons I'm trying to breastfeed him??? How much fresher can you get?

I'd also like to address something somewhat related. Often enough, I see or hear the comment that I'm strong, and the person giving the compliment would never be able to do what I'm doing. While I sincerely appreciate the encouragement, as Heaven knows I need it, to the latter half, I'd like to humbly and sweetly say Bull Crap. I never thought I could do this either. But when you find yourself in a situation such as this, your choices become a) find a way to cope with it, or b) kill yourself. That's not an exaggeration. You can't change what happened. You can only choose what to do about it. And that is entirely up to you. But you do not know how strong you are until you are presented with something that will test you. And tested I am. Whether I pass in the end is still to be determined, as it is for all of us. I wouldn't wish what happened to us on my worst enemy, whoever that is. But I do think that if it happens to you, you are capable of overcoming it.

Off my soap box for tonight.

1. I'm grateful for all of my children and for the opportunity to be their mother.
2. I'm grateful my mother-in-law is here to help our family.
3. I'm grateful we are closer to reuniting our family.
4. I'm grateful I've been able to watch all the milestones my children have made.
5. I'm grateful for eternal families.

2 comments:

RasJane said...

Amen to your last paragraph. I get that all the time re: M's allergies. You are absolutely right. You either do it or you don't. There's absolutely no way around it.
That being said, I think you are doing very well. I can't say I understand your situation. I can identify with having something flung in your face that you wouldn't wish on anyone and you would change in a heartbeat if the choice was presented. I respect and admire the way you have handled this. You have not given up. You could have just said, forget it and turned it all over to the nurses and dr's. You could have refused medical treatment. There are a lot of "could haves" that you didn't. No, it's not easy. It probably won't be easy--maybe forever I don't know. But you keep researching. You have faith. Faith in the human body, faith in creation, faith in the Lord. You are doing awesome.

Anonymous said...

B, I get that comment so much too.. "You are so strong" or "I dont know how you do it.. I couldnt do it", etc.. Umm yes you can.. When you are in this situation you just have to. Anybody would do the same. Its not like you just give up on your child. I also hate when people who adopt special needs babies say that they "chose" to take care of their baby and we as parents didnt... Bull crap! As parents we chose to take care of our special needs kid. We might not have chosen the problems but we could have given them up for adoption or whatever but we didnt.. Anyway didnt mean to rant on your blog but you brought up something that I get told a lot so I completely understand.

Alas, I hope the BFing starts going better for you. If it helps any it normally gets better when they go home so Im rooting for Quinn to go home soon! Aybra is doing a lot better with her feeds at home now that I can feed her more on demand when she wants instead of when the hospital wanted. She is eating a lot more.