Friday, July 18, 2008

Whew. What a week. Quinn has been home for a full week now. We're exhausted, but we're not giving him back. We've made lots of progress in that time period.

First of all, Quinn has seen our pediatrician and has had two visits from a home health nurse. On all three occasions, he was weighed and showed that he is gaining at least an ounce per day. At discharge one week ago, he was 6 lbs 11 oz. As of today, he is 7 lbs 7 oz. He's getting to be a big boy now!

Secondly, during the nurse's visit today, we turned down the oxygen, from 100 cc/minute to 75 cc/minute. She had come on Wednesday, but there was miscommunication (surprise surprise) as to how exactly to go about the weaning process. Our pediatrician had thought the nurse would do it, but the nurse said "No way! That's your doctor's call." So, a couple of phone calls, and our pediatrician found she needed to consult with the pulmonologist to get a plan for weaning underway. That meant another visit from the nurse to monitor Quinn's oxygen saturation while we turned down the oxygen. But we have a plan now, so that's the important thing. The nurse will come back next Wednesday, and we'll see if we can turn it down to 25 cc/minute. The next step is turning it off completely. Fingers crossed. Interesting aside: While we were turning down the oxygen, the nurse asked me what my background was because I "seemed unusually comfortable with the math." What I know about pressure and flow rate is just from basic courses, and is nowhere near, say, Kurt's expertise, as a mechanical engineer, but I guess I look confident in my knowledge. Anyway, I told her I have a master's in genetics with a minor in statistics. That seemed to explain it.

And thirdly, and the one I'm most excited about, breastfeeding is going wonderfully. I was worried the first couple of days, because it always seemed to be a struggle to convince Quinn to latch on, and the whole time I was seeing that discouraging nurse telling me he was using too much energy to breastfeed and wouldn't gain well. But the last several days, it's come much easier. We nurse at every feed, topped off with some fortified milk. And obviously he's gaining tremendously. So there, nurse. Maybe he needed exercise.

Now we just need to get rid of the oxygen tank and the apnea monitor, and then we can be much more mobile in the house and in the yard. We're on our way!

3 comments:

Jan Kate Brower Arnell said...

love the photos of your babies... what a great tradition. Quinn sounds like he is thriving ... No surprise there with the care you are giving him. He needed to be home! Hope you can catch some much needed rest soon.

Amy said...

So glad things are going well!

Leah said...

Ditto Amy's comment ;)