Bad blogger! Bad blogger!
It's easy to get out of the habit when it's not part of my daily routine. But then, routine goes out the window with major life upheavals, of which having a baby definitely qualifies.
So, last week. There's good news, and there's bad news. First, the good news. Quinn had a check up with our pediatrician on Tuesday. He weighed in at a nice 8 lbs 1 oz. That's a full pound heavier than he was at the last appointment two weeks earlier. So I was given the go ahead to breastfeed him full time except for the bottles that have his meds in them, which is twice a day, an ounce each. And we can use the meds until they run out, and then not refill the prescriptions. Yay! I haven't pumped in days, which has been very nice. I may still need to do that in the future, once I'm through the week's worth of milk in the freezer and there are still more meds, but for now, Quinn is getting it all from the tap.
Now, the bad news. Quinn is still on oxygen. We turned it off and watched the oximeter, and he dipped into the 83-85% range. We waited half and hour and it never came back up. So we turned it on to 16 cc/minute, where he had been on 25 cc/minute. I mean, you can't feel this much flow. You need to stick the end in a bowl of water to see bubbles and that's the only way to tell anything's coming out. But it evidently makes the difference. With that little bit, he went up to 90%, which is better, but still not good. So it was back up to 25. We'll try again tomorrow, and hopefully that will be it. It was going to be perfect. He would come off the oxygen just in time for my mom to go home and then I could take care of all three kids with Quinn totally unencumbered. As it was, I went into a bit of a panic that he would still be tied to his 40 lbs buddy and I had two other active kids in the house. It went much better than I expected, (the advantage of being pessimistic) but it was and is tough, I won't lie about that. Here's hoping for a better week and lots of improvement tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Howdy!
Long time no talk. Our fourth was born in January. She's a keeper.
I forgot to check the age separation of our '08 babies compared to Faith and my number three.
ANYWAY!!
Now that you're away from the hospital, your posts are shadowed by negativity. I remember clearly your dislike of hospitals. Here's hoping that Quinn continues his progress and that Dorian doesn't send you back with any broken appendages (at least this year!).
- Love,
D. Lee
That Texan girl in Iowa by way of Yankee Territory.
Bronwyn, I'm so enjoying your posts and your continuing successes. Quinn is looking great and you are sounding more relaxed! Lots of hugs all around!
I love the contrast in these two comments. It just goes to show the role of perception, I guess.
Post a Comment