Thursday, February 26, 2009

Happy birthday Miss Faith!
Faith had been talking about her birthday since last summer. But when I asked her first thing this morning how old she was, her immediate response was two. I told her she was now three. She protested, as most two- to three-year-olds do, until she realized the day had finally come. She'd been waiting for months and it was finally her birthday. She wanted to put on a fancy dress and a birthday hat. The closest thing we had was the cone-shaped hat from her dress-up set that you see in the picture. But that was good enough for her. And we made her cupcakes this morning, in super-duper strawberry pink. Waiting until Daddy came home from work to eat them was agonizing for both her and Dorian. But they held out, and I'm sure the reward for their patience was sweet.
Poor Quinn felt a bit left out.
I'm not sure what we're going to do for his birthday. Dorian and Faith each smushed around a cupcake for their first birthdays, but Quinn will be the equivalent of 9 months old, which just doesn't seem old enough to me to be eating cake. I still have about 5 weeks to figure this out. But on the other hand, we only have 5 weeks until Quinn's first birthday. That also means we only have about 5 more weeks of winter. Hallelujah! We definitely need some fresh air.

Illness has struck our family. Everyone but me has had the same respiratory complaints for going on two weeks. Dorian got it first. He woke up hoarse and coughing and spent the day curled up on the couch with a fever. The next day he was better. Then two days later, Faith and Quinn were both feverish, followed by coughing. Kurt too is stuffy. I'm ready for health to be restored.

Quinn being sick of course has me worried, especially with a respiratory illness. Our doctor isn't too concerned. I talked to her, and she confirmed what I thought, that there wasn't much that could be done for him with a viral infection. We're just watching and waiting. And really, other than the periodic coughing, he hasn't slowed down at all. He's just as energetic and alert as ever. I took this picture of him earlier this week.
That little booklet was sitting on the edge of the table. He pulled it off and began to "read" it, turning pages and everything. He can be an intense kid. But he's also a happy and social one.
And life is good.

4 comments:

Becky N. said...

What a joyful-looking birthday girl! I love how low-key and peaceful it seems. How happy she appears with just a simple hat, fancy dress, and her own little cupcake. What a sweet girl!

I sometimes forget that our babies are so close together. My Alex will be 11 months in just a couple days, so we're looking forward to a 1st birthday as well. I'm not sure what he'll think about a cake! He's always so eager to stick things in his mouth, but not always eager to actually eat them. We'll see! Good luck on deciding what to do for Quinn.

We've had the respiratory ickiness, too. The first one in our family to get it is just getting over it completely now, almost 2 weeks later. I'm already tiring of the residual stuffiness and cough a week after I came down with it, and it sounds like it's exactly what your family has dealt with. I hope you and Quinn will be spared. We haven't felt this ill in a while. :( Still... it wasn't the worst virus out there!

Sunny said...

For Jake's first birthday we made some wheat/gluten free organic waffles and layered them like a cake--you could put yogurt between the layers :)

Shauna said...

Okay, Dorian looks like he's six in that picture. That is hard to make a decision about kindergarten. At least you are in a district where, if he does go to school, he'll likely not get bloodied on the bus. We're not registering for kindergarten right now, but for different reasons, which you can probably guess. Miss you guys. I guess Glenn sees Faith on Sundays, and we talk to Kurt once a month, but I still don't feel like we're getting the full Fackrell experience lately. :-)

Jan Kate Brower Arnell said...

Looks like you are all having fun! Can't believe what your past year has been like! Here's to has beens! jan