The short answer is nowhere. I've just felt like since my life is on eternal round right now (is that blasphemous?) that I didn't have much to report on anymore.
Let's see, uh, there's this:
He's not crawling yet, but he's up on hands and knees and rocking. And then, look out world!There's this:
Kurt had a birthday February 4. And yes, that's a carton of ice cream with candles stuck in it. Kurt isn't a big cake fan, and decided he'd rather have just ice cream this year. Made my job easy. Faith's birthday is next, in 2 weeks.And just for fun, there's this:
Among the things we've done to keep busy is to celebrate the season. These are heart-shaped cinnamon rolls, made by rolling in both edges, instead of just one. My sister Brittany passed that along to me, as well as a recipe for red play dough. For the last two days, Dorian and Faith have commandeered the kitchen table for use with this play dough and cookie cutters.My mom came to visit about two weeks ago. It was fun to have Grandma time, and to go out and about a bit. Dorian and Faith and I got to almost resume our old ways, going to the library and out to lunch. And Kurt and I got to go on several dates. Real dates! It was amazing! And old man winter brought us a snowday for the occasion. My mom enjoyed that, since it's a novelty to her. The kids were sad to see her go. We're looking forward to summer and time with all grandparents and cousins.
In other news, I got Dorian registered for kindergarten last week. I'm still ambivalent about this. Our district just decided to go to full-day kindergarten, and I'm apparently in the minority of parents who are not happy about this. But more than anything, the process of getting him registered has emphasized the fact that I'm a little bit cracked after this past year of my life. After being expected to basically hand over a child to medical authority (which we didn't entirely do, but anyway) I actually have quite a bit of separation anxiety from any of my kids. And here again, I'm sort of expected to just let Dorian go for most of the day. And yes, I know I can be involved, volunteer in the classroom, do PTA, etc. But let's face it. This is a major change, and I don't think I'm handling it well. I've been a bit vocal in my disappointment at the change to full-day, and all that has really done is make me known to the school board. We haven't even started school there, and they know me. Of course, I have considered homeschooling. And to some degree, we've done that already. Dorian can read a little and count, though he's less keen on writing. And Faith knows a lot too, since she refuses to be left behind in anything. But for multiple reasons, I'm not convinced continuing with it is the right thing to do. Oh, the decisions to be made, and made soon.
4 comments:
Boy does Quinn look like his mamma. And I want to know if those are you mother's cinnamon rolls? I still think about her cinnamon rolls and her bread. Oh, and those little sandwiches she would sometimes make for the linger longers . . . {sigh} Absolutely the best! The years Martin was in the bishopric and we were on the bread gift list were memorable.
If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have homeschooled. I am not sure I have the temperament for it but I think there are so many resources nowadays that it's not what it used to be.
First of all, I can't believe Quinn! What a handsome little boy- I can't believe he's almost crawling!
Kindergarten was quite a trip for us, too. I homeschooled for part of the year, then put her in kindergarten in March when it became clear kindergarten wasn't a good match. I think I woudl have a hard time with all day kindergarten too- although with my second daughter, and all the craziness going on with our baby, I've been wishing for it! Good luck in what ever you decide.
Oh, and for what its worth, I'm one of "those" moms at my school too, and was before my daughters even started!
Debi, yes, those are my mom's cinnamon rolls. I told the kids we were making rolls like Grandma does. They took that to mean she was coming back immediately.
I have pretty good memories of my dad being bishop too.
I'm hoping for some massive inspiration on the school situation. Heaven knows I need it.
So glad to get the update! I was wondering how you all were doing.
Post a Comment