Sunday, November 16, 2008

I haven't slept much this week. It's been a transition for Quinn to get used to sleeping without covers. I tried layers with long sleeved onsie, socks, pajamas, and a sleep sack, with the space heater going, and then a few days later added a cap to the whole ensemble, and he still woke up around midnight freezing. I finally broke down and added a crocheted afghan, as in, lots of holes for ventilation, but that seemed to help quite a bit, and now he isn't so cold anymore.

The whole ER experience seems a bit surreal now. Did I really go into Quinn's room and find him unresponsive? Did we really have 10 emergency responders in our living room working on him? Did I really sit outside the CAT scan room at the hospital and picture the worst? Unfortunately, the answer is yes to all of them. We do what we can to prevent such things, but they do happen sometimes.

And now Quinn appears to be sick. I don't know whether he got it at the hospital or from something the older kids brought home from church, but he's congested and coughing. I'd asked our doctor at what point I should call her, since I'm not used to bringing sick kids to the doctor, I'm used to treating them at home. She said if he looks like he's having trouble breathing, then call, and he definitely isn't so far. Let's pray it stays that way.

In other news, Dorian had his first teeth cleaning this week. That was exciting. I was worried how that would go, since we've tried in the past and he wouldn't open his mouth. But he did fine this time, and his teeth look good. Yay! Maybe he didn't get his parents' perpetually weak teeth. Today was also his debut in the Primary program. I of course missed it, being home with Quinn, but Kurt reports he delivered his line on cue, and he wasn't the most distracting four-year-old on the podium. And Faith was very sad not to be up there performing as well, surprise surprise. I'm glad it went well, but I'm really sad I missed it. I hope I don't have too many more instances like this. I feel like I'm choosing between my kids, and it's an awful feeling. I felt like that through most of Quinn's NICU stay, where I wanted to be with him, but my older kids needed me as well. I'm hoping the winter goes by quickly. And we know it's coming. This morning, there were three deer in the trees behind our house. We only see them when it gets cold, so winter must be setting in. I'm getting cold just thinking about it.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm so glad everything turned out okay with your terrifying hospital visit. After such an ordeal I can imagine that it does still feel surreal. I have a good year of my life that in hindsight seems surreal! I hope you'll find a system to help you all get better rest this winter.

I empathize with being torn between caring for your little one and your older ones. That was really, really hard during the NICU/PICU stay for us and the hibernation of those first winters home. It still feels strange now to allow Bennett out in the winter and I'm letting him go places while staying home with our newborn. :)

Hoping you have a healthy and calm season!

Jan Kate Brower Arnell said...

It is so hard to be torn and the more kids you have the more torn you get. Amazing more mom's don't end up with split personalities! Enjoy your Thanksgiving. jan